Reply To: Asking about Media and Alt Media – and particularly ZCom

ZSplash Forums AskAlbert Asking about Media and Alt Media – and particularly ZCom Reply To: Asking about Media and Alt Media – and particularly ZCom

Michael Albert
Participant

Hi Ren…

Glad you have been with us so long. Hope Z has been helpful!

Yes, I have tried, many times, going way back and right through the present, to facilitate ways for people to engage with one another, substantively, online. I have tried forums in various incarnations, online courses, even an alternative social networking set up, and now these particular forums. None of its has been worthless – but neither has any of it been resoundingly successful.

If I knew why, well, I would try to use the knowledge to do better – but, honestly, I don’t know why. Of course some things are pretty evident – people in forums can be abusive. The people who write essays people mightly like to address, rarely participate. Forums can become a drain on time. Etc. But to me that doesn’t provide enough explanation. And a disturbing thing to notice is that in some place, venues, constituencies, there is lots of activity in forums – rarely political, even more rarely among serious leftists. I guess we will see what happens with these, though, in the next few weeks.