Reply To: Policy Issues and Ideas

ZSplash Forums ZCom Policy and Innovation Policy Issues and Ideas Reply To: Policy Issues and Ideas

Joe H
Participant

[First off, apoloigies for posting a similar message in two places, I just realised that starting a new thread would not necessarily get the attention of admin.]
Hi all,

The “recent Znet” column on May 6th featured an article “There will be tweets” by Elliot Murphy, about medialens. Some time earlier, one of the Znet Admin (Michael) roughly defined some rules for acceptable content on Znet, replying to Medialens themselves on the subject of their criticism of Monbiot: “We have no interest, whatever the intent of authors, of blasting people,
particularly someone like George, with innuendo or overt false attacks,” the problem being a suggestion that Monbiot was protecting corporate interests. You went on to say that “it is for the same reason if someone wrote a piece, even with good other content, saying either David was a police agent, or a sectarian, or whatever else, we wouldn’t run it.”

For this reason, I’m puzzled and disturbed to find the above-mentioned article on Znet’s main column. The article does exactly what you said you ruled out. In a comment below, Murphy does call medialens sectarian, and the article says the same although not in some many words. A large part of Murphy’s article is a puerile character assassination of David Edwards based on some out-of-context quotes from a blog post. In my comment below the article I have pointed out as many of the problems with the article as I could before I lost patience (it is 6000 words long, and somehow the author could see no place to cut it despite it containing numerous tenuously connected quotes and references, along with some comments on Daniel Day-Lewis’ acting)

What is going on here? Has the standard changed, did this slip through by mistake due to the length or do you think that this case is substantially different from the ones you outlines in your forum post above?
Thanks,
Joe

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by avatar Joe H.