Category: 11-Sept

Edward Herman: Rejoinder To Christopher Hitchens

In a "Rejoinder to Noam Chomsky" in early October, Christopher Hitchens put up two sentences regarding my own writing, as follows:   "Mr. Herman has moved from opposing the bombing of Serbia to representing the Milosevic regime as a victim and as a nationalist peoples democracy. He has recently said, in a ludicrous attack on Read more…

Noam Chomsky: Chomsky Replies to Hitchens

Note: This debate occurred in 2001. Christopher Hitchens wrote an essay in the Nation, and a subsequent comment on the Nation web site…and among those he attacked in his fulminations, was Noam Chomsky. Here, Chomsky replies…   I have been asked to respond to recent articles by Christopher Hitchens (webpage, Sept. 24; _Nation_, Oct. 8), Read more…

Jeffrey Sommers: Distorting Blowback

Ever since the tragic events of the 11th, the media was been quick to shoot-down the "blowback" thesis for explaining the role of US foreign policy in giving rise to terrorism. Of course, not all this criticism has been honest. The best way to remove from discussion uncomfortable topics is to misstate their premises in Read more…

Michael Albert: Replying to Hitchens

I have gotten a lot of mail asking me to react to Christopher Hitchens comments in the Nation magazine and on the Nation website. I am loathe to do so because I fear that considerable energies of wonderful people will go into worrying about precise wording of diverse entries in a back-and-forth battle of writers, Read more…

Stephen R. Shalom: The War In Afghanistan: 40 Questions and Answers

Michael Albert and Stephen R. Shalom In the course of our discussions since the bombing of Afghanistan began, we have encountered certain questions over and over. Here we assemble those questions and provide answers to each. 1. What is Islamic fundamentalism? Fundamentalism has been on the rise worldwide. One reason has been the absence in Read more…

Edward Herman: FOR Rationalization–Of Imperial Violence

Apparently Christopher Hitchens cannot understand that attacking supposed rationalizations for X may be de facto rationalizing for Y, as in his "Against Rationalization" (The Nation, Oct. 8). Thus, his furious attack on Osama bin Laden and the Taliban, and their alleged leftist apologists, in this article, and his even more frenzied assault on these same Read more…

Stephen R. Shalom: September 11 And Its Aftermath

Michael Albert and Stephen R. Shalom We are writing this on September 17, less than a week after the horrific terrorist attacks against the United States. We are still dealing with our grief and trauma and we are still profoundly moved by the many acts of heroism, generosity, and solidarity that have taken place. Some Read more…

Wayne Grytting: Newspeak

corporations, their work is inevitably compromised. Just the opposite was demonstrated by attorney Gary Reback at a conference on Microsoft sponsored by Ralph Nader. Recently the Gates monolith bought out Funk & Wagnell’s Encyclopedia to use for their on-line "Encarta" version. Funk and Wagnell’s originally had an entry on none other than Bill Gates himself, Read more…

1 35 36 37
Skip to toolbar