Category: 11-Sept

Cyril Mychalejko: September 11th From Chile to Washington: Bush Follows in Pinochet’s Footsteps

Torture. Murder. Kidnappings. Secret Prisons. Concentration Camps. War. Impunity. This is the legacy of human rights abuses September 11th sadly leaves us–a legacy first executed by former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet, and, more recently renewed by an equally culpable President George W. Bush. The 35th anniversary of the September 11th, 1973 Washington-backed coup which saw Read more…

Robert Jensen: Arrogance, ignorance, and cowardice: Lessons from 9/11

[A version of this essay was delivered to the “Struggle for Global Justice” film festival organized by the student group Azaad at the University of Texas at Austin on September 11, 2008.]   Given the disastrous decisions made by U.S. officials in the seven long years since September 11, 2001, it would be easy tonight Read more…

Mickey z.: September 11, 2008

Edited version of a talk I gave in NYC on September 11, 2008, with preface, prologue, preamble, and postscript:   Preface: In 1853, several pairs of the previously unknown European house sparrow were set free inside Brooklyn’s Green-wood Cemetery. By picking the hayseeds out of horse droppings from the carts used for funerals, these tiny Read more…

Ramzy Baroud: Global Realignment: How Bush Inspired a New World Order

The series of unfortunate and costly decisions made during the two terms of the Bush administration, combined with economic decline at home, might devastate the US’s world standing much sooner than most analysts predict. What was difficult to foresee was that the weakening of US global dominance, spurred by erratic and unwise foreign policy under Read more…

Frida Berrigan: Entrenched, Embedded, and Here to Stay

A full-fledged cottage industry is already focused on those who eagerly await the end of the Bush administration, offering calendars, magnets, and t-shirts for sale as well as counters and graphics to download onto blogs and websites. But when the countdown ends and George W. Bush vacates the Oval Office, he will leave a legacy Read more…

Noam Chomsky: United States of Insecurity

Based on an interview with Noam Chomsky conducted by Gabriel Matthew Schivone via telephone and e-mail at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, November 27, 2007 through February 11, 2008. Parts of the text have been expanded by the author. A State of Insecurity in the Post-9/11 World   GMS: In a recent interview, Abdel Bari Read more…

George Monbiot: How to Build a Human Bomb

When we learnt last week that Abdallah Salih al-Ajmi had blown himself up in Mosul in northern Iraq, the US government presented this as a vindication of its policies. Al-Ajmi was a former inmate of the detention camp at Guantanamo Bay. The Pentagon says that his attack on Iraqi soldiers shows both that it was Read more…

Tom Engelhardt: Welcome to the Age of Homeland Insecurity

Once upon a time, I studied the Chinese martial art of Tai Chi — until, that is, I realized I would never locate my "chi." At that point, I threw in the towel and took up Western exercise. Still, the principle behind Tai Chi stayed with me — that you could multiply the force of Read more…

Andy Worthington: The Insignificance of “al-Qaeda operative” Abu Zubaydah

Abu Zubaydah, an alleged senior al-Qaeda operative, has been held without charge or trial as a “high-value detainee” for over six years, first in secret CIA custody, and then in Guantánamo, while battles have raged within the administration over his supposed significance. Drawing, in particular, on the story of former Guantánamo prisoner Khalid al-Hubayshi, Andy Read more…

Chris Spannos: Reviewing Pentagon Propaganda & The New York Times

The Sunday edition of the New York Times ran a very candid cover story about a carefully orchestrated Pentagon propaganda campaign masquerading as objective journalism in the form of military analysts appearing on Fox News, CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, and the New York Times. The propaganda campaign sought, not only to manipulate public perception of Read more…

1 3 4 5 6 7 37
Skip to toolbar