Future of zmag

ZSplash Forums ZCom Policy and Innovation Future of zmag

This topic contains 26 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Hey Cup 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Minh Phan
    Participant

Let’s discuss the future of zmagazine here. How do we like it to be, what kind of content should be in, how much issues, what format, etc. It is good to read about in the editorial, but an open discussion is much more productive.

If the topic exists already, sorry for that.

Thierry Blanc
    Participant

My suggestions is newspaper. A newspaper like the monde diplomatique. Zmag’s strength is long, in-depth article with lots of background knowledge that do not need a lot of pictures. Articles that remain up-to-date even after a few months.
    see samples here:
    http://piquestions.webege.com/may14.a3.pdf
    http://piquestions.webege.com/paperZ.v1.pdf

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by  Thierry Blanc.

dale Covington
    Participant

The idea of converting to newsprint seems like an idea with merit and worth considering. If that is still not enough, maybe that in conjunction with the bi-monthly format.
    It seems like a great magazine and worth keeping alive.

Philip Gan
    Participant

What is the difference between ZMag and ZNet? Both are edited and both include articles by a variety of writers.

Thierry Blanc
    Participant

For zmag there is also a print edition. The type setting is, sad to say, far behind the content of the mag.

Thierry Blanc
    Participant

I created some shell scripts to automize the newspaper creation. With these scripts I can make a 16 page A3 paper in about 2 hours (latex-based).

Minh Phan
    Participant

The script do need 2 hours for processing? what kind of script is that.

Thierry Blanc
    Participant

The script just takes few seconds, but the adjusting the pictures takes up to two hours. Without fancy layouts just 10 minutes!

Minh Phan
    Participant

I think for professional layout and typesetting you need in-design or similar. latex is more for university papers.

Thierry Blanc
    Participant

Yes, I agree, if the person has enough time and experience to do it well. Indesign by itself will not ensure a good layout.
    A script-based approach with a simple layout can bring high quality with little effort. As the zmag stuff is rather small and time is scarce, scripts might come in handy to do the work.
    But if you have time and a professional layouter, indesign would be far better, of course.

Minh Phan
    Participant

Layout can be very simple. Pictures are not important. But why no professional layouter?

Thierry Blanc
    Participant

I’m not fully sure, but I think zmag has a very small staff and cannot afford an external professional.

Minh Phan
    Participant

Automatic layout will make production very simple. But will we find enough people to buy?

Thierry Blanc
    Participant

Minh Phan
    Participant

Looks nice, really great! How long did take you to make it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘ZCom Policy and Innovation’ is closed to new topics and replies.