Introduce Yourself and Chat

ZSplash Forums Getting To Know One Another Introduce Yourself and Chat

This topic contains 45 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by avatar Rado M 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Michael Albert
    Participant

Hi!

Look up IOPS online, then the UK or London chapter – you may find folks who share your views…

I am a spirit in a body, a human being, from Vancouver, Canada. I’ve been earning my living as a mechanical technician at a nuclear particle research centre at UBC, most recently assembling superconducting RF accelerators. I’ve discovered recently that there is not a huge commercial market for this science, although governments and researchers in Physics seem to see and appreciate its relativity. I have also discovered that I enjoy the friendship of the people from all over the world that I have worked with for the past almost 40 years, and that interaction is probably more important than my work-life of assisting physicists to discover what happened in the first few nanoseconds of our universe’s existence.
    I enjoy learning about how our social cultural world really works, how individuals and groups interact, how governments and power structures try to control and influence populations, how corporations have become individuals to benefit their bottom-lines, and how each of us has a dynamic role to play by standing up for our Values and our Earth. I have learned that there is no going back, there is no time like the present, and each of us is uniquely powerful, through our faculties of reason, imagination, and free will. “Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come.”
    I enjoy participating in subjects such as: home-renovations, permaculture, clean energy sources, classic cars and hot-rodding, human rights & freedoms, preserving our pristine coastlines, limiting fracking and bottled water, and dark beers on a sunny afternoon at the lake… not necessarily in that order. Cheers, Clint

John Little
    Participant

Hi from SoCal. I’ve read Znet off and on over the years. I like its work. The eclectic crwth here sounds about right. I enjoy spirited discussion on world topics and have lived in four countries and visited about 20, so I know a small amount of what goes on in other places.

jonpatterns
    Participant

I’ve only lived in the UK. What have been the good and bad aspects of the countries you have lived in?

John Little
    Participant

Jon,

Switzerland:
    Takes care of its people. High quality everything and high expectations of quality for everything by the people. They complain about government more than anyone else I’ve seen. Cleanest country I’ve seen. Helps in international crises.
    Turns blind eye to money laundering and illegal activities by banks. Safe haven for criminals and their money. Acts as liaison for countries involved in illegal activity.

Mexico:
    Low stress, low cost. People enjoy life, help without being asked and easily accept outsiders. Country full of riches and beauty. Fair infrastructure. Good medical care in larger urban areas.
    High corruption. Higher than normal crime rate. Some racism. Infrastructure spotty in areas.

Venezuela:
    Low stress, low cost. People enjoy life and easily accept outsiders. Takes care of its people. Lots of riches and beauty. Good infrastructure. Stays out of international conflicts.
    High crime rate. Union corruption. Rich causing country-wide problems.

United States:
    Great infrastructure. Lots of riches and beauty. Good quality of products and services. High standard of living. Fair medical services.
    Very corrupt. High crime rate. Police brutality. Creates international conflicts. High stress.

These are just some of the highlights I can think of off of the top of my head.

jonpatterns
    Participant

Thanks for the answer, low stress sounds good ; -)

John Little
    Participant

No prob

NeSSa
    Participant

¡Muy buenos días, Ivan! ¿De dónde eres en Argentina? Tengo muy amigo en B.A. Uno de mis títulos universitario está en español, lengua y cultura, y en este momento estoy estudiando tres brillantes escritores argentinos: Borges, Cortázar, y Valenzuela. Es un placer, Ivan. ¡Ojalá que escribas mucho de lo que pienses. Me gunsta mucho este espacio . I write in both Spanish and English – and sometimes in my still-in-progress Russian.

Ciao.
    NeSSa

NeSSa
    Participant

Hi Ren – Nice to meet you. I am, unfortunately, unable to open your website.

NeSSa

NeSSa
    Participant

Hi Jon, currently from the Buckle of the Bible Belt (at some point I said I’d never live in the South, and God, she heard me and said, “Oh really? You said that word again? And here I am.) Having come directly from the ROI (Ireland) here – where folks can call out a politician and still hoist a glass of Guinness in a pub that night (I’m a South Philly North American, with 20 years in Northern California) – I thought we had lost our last brain cell, or I had landed on another planet.

You know about Venezuela, yes? What do you think of the current situation? My focus is the Global South/Inequality/GMOs.

I loved living in Ireland (My dad was Irish.) I’ve lived in Madrid and in Florence; with sojourns to Kyoto, Istanbul, The Netherlands, Germany (Düsseldorf area) and the UK. My always and ever goal is to travel more. I’ll be moving to the North of Spain soon (the sooner the more exciting.)

A grand day to you, Jon. Connecting with people who want to be/do more than this moment is an eminently enjoyable thing.

Ciao.
    NeSSa

NeSSa
    Participant

Wow.
    Hi Clint.
    The first few words made me read on. I believe that we are spirit in a human experience (not talking anything religious.) I’m an ex-colleague of an old curmudgeon by the name of Neale Donald Walsch, who wrote a series of books with which I totally related. He has quite a following up in your part of Canada. The beauty of his books is that they are basically a compilation of much that we already know, coupled with what they call down here an “extremist radical way of thinking of the Universe and Spirit (here in Georgia, they would not advertise his gathering in Atlanta because he is “too radical.”) He neither a preacher nor a seer, and he brought me critical awareness that the messenger is not the message. He’s an author and quite interesting.

Your post is fascinating. With the exception of dark beer and Physics, you’ve more than an interesting basis for conversations and moving forward to change the planet (yep, we can.) My strengths are in languages and Political Science – all geared toward Inequality/GMOs/Globalization/Global South – and a few more things.

Here’s to a day filled with blessings and belly laughs. Cheers.
    NeSSa

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by avatar NeSSa.
    NeSSa
    Participant

Hi Andrew – a pleasure to meet you!
    NeSSa

NeSSa
    Participant

Hi Jim – a pleasure to ‘meet’ you.

I find Professor Chomsky’s definition and writings on Anarchism to be spot on. Also, there are some old songs about Anarchism (Utah Phillips, Guthrie, of course, et al) that are cool. The story of the Spanish Civil War brings into sharp relief how anything close to that must be crushed by Empire and what I call the Grifter Class (1%ers, etc. – I refuse to call any of them or the involved entities power or elite or anything resembling it. Words have energy.)

In any event, may your day be filled with good things & interesting people.

Cheers.
    NeSSa

NeSSa
    Participant

Hi Chris – Nice to meet you and to read your story – very interesting. I, too, find Professor Chomsky to be in the mentor category for me, although I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting him or talking with him. I have, however (although I came to his writings late), read most of his books, and have most of his DVDs. Now that I have audiobooks on my phone, I can do my hour commute whilst listening to him, Foucalt, Borges, Barthes, and a host of other fascinating folks.

I have a couple of students with Aspergers, and getting help down here is an exercise in intestinal fortitude. Fortunately, there are folks and more information out there, so good luck with it.

A history degree! Wow! Someone who knows what happened back beyond last week’s sale at Walmart! 🙂

Just a last wee note on not ever having much money…neither do I, nor do many of us these days, as the push to the bottom from the Grifter Class accelerates. However, even $2.00 a month helps defray costs here. Most of the places we inhabit all need help and exist very close to the bone. I feel strongly that every little bit helps.

Cheers.

NeSSa

NeSSa
    Participant

A grand day to you, Zlatko! A pleasure to ‘meet’ you; and I so agree with your post!

You are now the second person I’ve met from Croatia. I attended Language Immersion school (Italian) in Florence in the mid-2000s, and there were only three of us in the class – one of whom was a delightful woman who at the time worked in one of the ministries. We had a grand time, and she brought to me a beginning view of where she lived.

I look forward to not only your writings, but many engaging conversations. I’m Irish, and a Shanache (storyteller – a most revered thing to be in the past 🙂 ), so interaction is really the key to not only the success of this site, but of everything we hope to accomplish.

Cheers.

NeSSa

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

The forum ‘Getting To Know One Another’ is closed to new topics and replies.