Learning Chinese

ZSplash Forums AskAlbert Learning Chinese

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by avatar Michael 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

minds abroad
    Participant

[URL=http://www.mindsabroad.com/][b]Learning Chinese[/b][/URL]

A certification in standard Mandarin, apart from the extra credit, can give one an edge while hiking up the career ladder.

Michael
    Participant

Among other things, I am a language teacher, Spanish and English. But I have often had advanced students of English (Spanish speakers) ask me what third language would I recommend? First of all, its up to the student and most should choose a language they want to know, with the emphasis on what. Apart from that, I have often recommended students in Latin America to consider Portuguese since Brazil occupies an important place for many reasons and it is a relatively easy transition from Spanish to Portuguese for native Spanish speakers. However, I have always mentioned three other languages, too–Chinese, Japanese, or Arabic. This are not easy for Romance Language learners, but for career opportunities, if a Latin American knows even at an intermediate level any of these three languages, they will be in an enviable position. This goes for Anglo-Americans, too, but most Anglo-Americans seldom seek to learn a second language, thinking that others will speak English as their second language, as is often the case. But to enter into another culture and to understand it, it is a distant second place situation to have to depend on others to speak English and always go through “our” native language.

Michael
    Participant

I wrote: “First of all, its up to the student and most should choose a language they want to know, with the emphasis on what.” Obviously I meant: First of all, it’s up to the student and most should choose a language they want to know, with the emphasis on WANT.”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘AskAlbert’ is closed to new topics and replies.