avatar
Second court victory for Palestine Action


Please Help ZNet



 

 

 

 

 

 

Source: The Electronic Intifada

Activists celebrated another victory against Israeli drone giant Elbit on Thursday, as a British court dropped all charges.

Birmingham Magistrates Court ordered that three activists go free, despite charges of criminal damage, resisting arrest and a charge related to suspected aggravated trespass.

The Palestine Action campaigners had targeted an Elbit landlord, Vine Property Management in Birmingham, in the English Midlands.

The case is the second against Palestine Action to come to trial. Last month, the group’s first trial also ended in full acquittal with protesters found not guilty of criminal damage.

The activists in the first trial successfully argued that damage they caused to Elbit’s Shenstone factory near Birmingham was proportionate action to halt the factory’s involvement in Israeli war crimes against Palestinians.

The group had chained themselves to the gates of Elbit subsidiary UAV Engines in Shenstone and splattered the building with blood-red paint in January last year.

The three activists cleared in the second trial on Thursday had taken action to shut down Vine Property in July last year, “as part of a wider campaign targeting the suppliers, partners and landlords of Elbit” the group said in a statement.

Vine is the landlord of the Shenstone factory.

“Activists chained the gates shut, occupied the roof and sprayed the site with red paint to signify its complicity in the murder of the Palestinian people,” they recalled.

They dropped a large sign calling on the landlord to “Evict Elbit.”

Palestine Action said the legal victory was “hugely significant” and was more proof that even the British courts system appears to “understand the necessity, and proportionality, of taking action to undermine British complicity in Israeli war crimes.”

Activists said on Thursday that the Crown Prosecution Service had failed to offer any evidence, leading to the charges being dropped before their political defence of proportionate action against Israeli war crimes could be put forward in court again.

Palestine Action said in its statement that there had been “serious failings by the police” and an “abuse of process” by prosecutors.

Their solicitor Lydia Dagostino told The Electronic Intifada that there had been “major failings in disclosure” by prosecutors, leading to activists walking free.

The Crown Prosecution Service did not respond to requests for comment.

The group’s latest legal victory follows hot on the heels of its first Elbit factory shutdown last week.

 

On 10 January, Elbit announced that it had sold off its Ferranti factory in Oldham, in the north of England.

Activist Max Geller told the most recent episode of The Electronic Intifada Podcast that, “if the UK is not going to prosecute Palestine Action, Elbit is going to be left with very little options besides quitting the country.”

Editor’s note: This story initially stated that the three that been charged with aggravated trespass. This has now been corrected to “a charge related to suspected aggravated trespass.”

One of their lawyers clarified to The Electronic Intifada after publication that the charge was actually section 69 of the Criminal Justice Act, which specifies an offense of disobeying police orders to leave the scene where they reasonably suspect aggravated trespass. Aggravated trespass itself is a separate offense with which they were not charged.

Leave a comment