(Next Session: Oct/Nov.)
World Institute for Social Change (WISC) is an online school for developing and sharing ideas, skills, vision, and strategy within and across progressive constituencies. WISC is a partnership project. Diverse partner organizations plus its faculty constitute its hosts.
WISC offers courses four times a year in eight week sessions after each of which there is a month off for entering new enrollments, adding new courses, and refining features. The sessions are in April/May, July/August, October/November, and January/February.
The backbone software of WISC is Moodle. The structure of WISC is:
- Courses are sponsored by a WISC partner. That is, to teach a WISC course one must get sponsorship from a partner.
- Faculty determine course content.
- Enrollees take courses, engaging as much or little as they choose in course discussions, assignments, etc.
- Enrollees pay a sliding scale for full fee enrollment, low income enrollment, or observer status.
- Revenues go 50% to course faculty, 25% to partner course sponsor, and 25% to WISC for maintaining the whole operation.
Below are a few links for overarching WISC features - but the vast bulk of content and action is in courses themselves, of course.